We want to encourage an environment where all people and especially those who may be vulnerable are able to worship and pursue their faith journey with encouragement and in safety.
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 23rd May 2019 and is refreshed each year thereafter at the Annual Parochial Council Meeting. In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy of October 2018 (as amended), the Parish of the Claydons is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture;
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church;
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation;
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons;
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons;
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
- Create a safe and caring place for all;
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures;
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse;
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish;
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs (see links)
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse;
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately;
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred;
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties;
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually; and,
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Parish Safeguarding Policy Statements
Every year, the Parochial Church Council (PCC) agree the Parish Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy Statement, displaying a copy in the three Churches and forwarding a copy to the Diocesan Safeguarding Office for their records.
Parish Safeguarding Representatives
The PCC will appoint a minimum of one Safeguarding Link Representative who will be responsible on behalf of the incumbent and PCC for implementing the Claydons and Swan Team’s and Diocesan policy in respect of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. The Parish Safeguarding Link Representative agrees to undertake the key responsibilities of the role in liaison with the Parish Safeguarding Officer as outlined in the Diocesan Safeguarding Guide.
Parish Safeguarding Link Officer: Spencer Fishman (07586 730577 | Claydonsparish.Safeguarding@outlook.com)
Parish Safeguarding Officer: Julia Cook (01296 738810 | email@example.com)
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser: Louise Whitehead (07391 868478) Louise.Whitehead@oxford.anglican.org
Local Authority Social Services: 01296 387915
If there is immediate risk or danger, please contact police on 101